Taylor Schilling to Star in Netflix's 'Orange Is the New Black'
The "Mercy" actress has landed the lead role in Jenji Kohan's new one-hour series.
Taylor Schilling has landed the lead role in Weeds creator Jenji Kohan's new Netflix series Orange Is the New Black.
The Mercy star will play the coveted lead role in the project from Lionsgate TV that's based on the book by Piper Kerman.
The one-hour dramedy centers on an engaged Brooklyn resident whose decade-old relationship with a drug-runner in college results in her arrest and multi-year detention in a federal penitentiary. Lacking any real-world experience to deal with this harsh new environment, Piper immerses herself in women's prison culture and finds acceptance, tears, laughter and love amidst an outspoken group of inmates.
Schilling has starred in the 2011 film adaptation of Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged and appeared opposite Zac Efron in The Lucky One. She last toplined NBC's hospital drama Mercy from 2009-10.
Orange marks Netflix's latest original series, joining the Media Rights Capital-produced political thriller House of Cards from David Fincher and Kevin Spacey, and a revival of cult comedy Arrested Development. In June, it was announced that Kohan's Weeds will end after the eighth season.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR