Ted Danson: 5 Things to Know About 'CSI' Star
The actor has been announced as Laurence Fishburne's replacement on the CBS procedural.
Ted Danson will replace Laurence Fishburne on CSI, it was announced Tuesday.
"You can create a new character on the page, but until the perfect actor comes along and breathes life into it, it's just words," executive producer Carol Mendelsohn says. "We're very excited Ted Danson came along."
Here are a few things to know about the actor.
1. He makes his debut in CSI's Season 12 premiere on Sept. 21 at 10 p.m., which is the series' new time slot. He will remain a series regular on HBO's Bored to Death.
2. Although probably best known for playing Sam Malone in the '80s on Cheers, he earned an Emmy notation for his role as a villain on FX's Damages. He's been nominated for 14 Primetime Emmy Awards (he won two); 10 Golden Globe Awards (winning three) and one Screen Actors Guild Award.
3. He's an activist for ocean conservation. In March of this year, he wrote his first book, "Oceana: Our Endangered Oceans And What We Can Do To Save Them" with bestselling author Michael D'Orso.
4. He's follows a strict diet. He told Conan O'Brien in 2007 that he follows a vegan diet, except for occasionally eating fish.
5. He came under fire in 1993 for appearing in blackface at the Friar Club's roast of then-girlfriend Whoopi Goldberg and delivering a controversial, expletive-filled monologue. Goldberg later said they co-wrote the skit. He married actress Mary Steenburgen on October 7, 1995.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)