Tim Tebow to Guest-Host ABC's 'Good Morning America'
UPDATED: The ESPN analyst and former Denver Broncos quarterback joins the morning-show team Friday, just in time for Super Bowl mania.
New ESPN analyst Tim Tebow will cross over to ABC News' Good Morning America, co-hosting the morning show Friday with the GMA anchor team, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
Tebow, who had been a favorite topic at Disney-owned ESPN during his final tumultuous seasons in the NFL, landed a job at ESPN in December. GMA has used guest hosts in the past, most prominently during anchor Robin Roberts' medical absence when Stephen Colbert, the cast of Modern Family and Oprah Winfrey were among those who filled in.
So having Tebow, the Denver Broncos quarterback before the team signed Peyton Manning, in the studio in the run-up to the Super Bowl is an obvious bit of stunt casting. (New York Giants QB Eli Manning will be in the studio on Wednesday.) The preparations are already in full swing as the New York-New Jersey region readies for the first-ever cold-weather Super Bowl at an outdoor stadium on Feb. 2, when the Broncos will face the Seattle Seahawks at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. And the area just outside of GMA's Times Square studios has been converted to Super Bowl Boulevard, complete with a toboggan run, concert stage, Vince Lombardi Trophy exhibit and an enormous three-story studio for game presenter Fox Sports.
Of course, Tebow's on-field performance has been minutely dissected and highly controversial -- almost as controversial as his outspokenness about his Christian faith and his relentlessly positive outlook.
"We acknowledge and understand that Tim's faith is a big part of who he is," Justin Connolly, ESPN senior vp programming, college networks, told reporters recently. "It's part of what makes him special. At the same time, we hired him for his football opinions and his experience."
Tebow made his debut as an ESPN analyst Jan. 6 during the BCS Championship game.
"As someone who's positive, I'd love to continue to be someone who is positive," Tebow added. "I'd also like to be objective. I've never had a hard time saying what I believe."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- 'True Detective' Deleted Scene: Rust and Lori Break Up
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Crushes Things In A Giant Tank For A Good Cause
- 'Of Many' Film Produced By Chelsea Clinton To Premier At Tribeca Film Festival, Featuring Muslim-Jewish Relations
- The 'High School Musical' Song Ranking You've Been Waiting For