'Transcendence' Trailer: Johnny Depp Is Obsessed With A.I. (Video)
The sci-fi film is the directorial debut of Oscar-winning cinematographer Wally Pfister.
The first trailer for Johnny Depp's Transcendence has hit online, and the teaser gives a taste of what makes Depp's character tick.
In the film, the actor plays Dr. Will Caster, a renowned artificial intelligence researcher obsessed with creating a sentient machine. It will also see anti-technology extremists try to stop his experiments, even as his collaborators question whether the experiments should go on.
"For 130,000 years, our capacity for reason has remained unchanged. The combined intellect of the neuroscientists, engineers, mathematicians pales in comparison to even the most basic A.I. Once online, a sentient machine will quickly overcome the limits of biology," Depp says in a voiceover. "In a short time, its analytical power will be greater than the collective intelligence of every person born in the history of the world. Some scientists refer to this as the singularity. I call it transcendence."
The film is the directorial debut of cinematographer Wally Pfister, who worked on The Dark Knight trilogy and earned an Oscar for Inception.
Transcendence also stars Rebecca Hall, Morgan Freeman, Paul Bettany, Kate Mara and Cillian Murphy. The film is being distributed by Warner Bros. and hits theaters April 18, 2014.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR