'TRON: Uprising' Star Elijah Wood Moves From 'Rings' to Discs (Video)
The "Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" star tells THR about playing an "everyman individual faced with extraordinary consequences" in the new animated series.
After playing Frodo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings films, Elijah Wood is no stranger to playing characters who struggle to deal with a destiny that’s larger than themselves. Wood revisits that territory again on the small screen in TRON: Uprising, an animated series in which he plays Beck, a humble mechanic enlisted by Tron (Bruce Boxleitner) to lead a revolution after an act of civil disobedience puts him in the crosshairs of the authorities.
Wood tells THR that it’s less his past experience as Frodo than the familiarity of the hero’s journey that primed him for what his character does in the series. “I think it’s a relatively familiar archetype,” he said. “A hero construct of an everyman individual that’s faced with extraordinary consequences and ultimately takes the mantle and responsibility of something he never thought was possible.”
Although Wood admits that he came to TRON late, he says that jumping into the show, which takes place between the 1982 TRON and its 2010 sequel TRON: Legacy, excited him because of its mix of old and new mythmaking. “This was exciting to me not because it was familiar, but because it existed within the world of TRON,” he said.
“I was thrilled that they were making an animated series that not only dealt with the mythology and universe that had already been established, but they were also going to tell stories that existed chronologically between the first and second film."
Watch the video above for more details about his character, and his preparation for TRON: Uprising. The show premieres on Disney XD on June 7, 2012.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!