TV Ratings: 14.6 Million Viewers Watched Jay Leno's 'Tonight Show' Finale
Official ratings for the comedian's NBC sign-off give the show its biggest audience since the night of the "Seinfeld" finale in 1998.
With the final numbers in, Jay Leno's last Tonight Show performed even better than overnight ratings implied. A whopping 14.6 million viewers watched the Thursday episode, making it Tonight's biggest audience in more than 15 years.
As for the last time Leno approached such highs, that was back in May 1998 when he hosted an exclusive post-finale sit-down with Seinfeld star Jerry Seinfeld. The episode brought in 15 million viewers.
Goodbyes are good for business. The final Leno-hosted Tonight was up 283 percent from its season average in total viewers. And among adults 18-49, Leno averaged an aggressive 3.8 rating in the key demo. (Still, that does not top the younger-skewing Conan O'Brien. His Tonight finale averaged a 4.4 rating in the demo.)
With all said and done, Thursday's Tonight Show will rank as the fourth-highest-rated of the Leno era. Bragging rights will forever belong to the post-Cheers finale episode (22.4 million in 1993). As for No. 2, Leno's 1992 launch beat out his exit (and Seinfeld) with 16.1 million viewers.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game