TV Ratings: ABC's 'Modern Family' Beats World Series in Key Demo
UPDATED: It's the second year in a row the comedy tops game one of the World Series; Fox still wins the night.
According to preliminary numbers, ABC's Modern Family beat the MLB World Series game between the Texas Rangers and the St. Louis Cardinals in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demo. If those numbers hold true, it's the second year in a row the ABC comedy will have topped the first game of the World Series in the demo.
Modern Family rated a 5.6 with 12.8 million viewers, while early indications are that the World Series game rated a 3.9 with 12.9 million viewers. Still, Fox, which aired the game live during primetime, won the night overall -- and likely led to Modern Family dipping a slight 5 percent.
ABC and CBS tied in second with a 3.3 rating.
ABC's The Middle (2.9, 9 million) and Suburgatory (3.1, 8.8 million) were flat. Happy Endings was down 6 percent (3.0, 6.9 million) and Revenge, down 7 percent (2.5, 7.9 million).
CBS' Survivor: South Pacific was up 3 percent (3.3, 11.1 million), as was Criminal Minds (3.9, 13.1 million). CSI was flat with a 2.6 (10.6 million).
NBC came in third place with a 1.7 rating. Up All Night (2.1, 5.6 million), Harry's Law (1.2, 8.1 million) and Law & Order (2.1, 7.5 million) were all flat.
Univision rated a 1.5
The CW was in fifth with a 0.6. A repeat of Sarah Michelle Gellar's Ringer was up 13 percent in total viewers from last week with 1.2 million (and a 0.4 rating). America's Next Top Model (0.8, 1.9 million) out-rated NBC in the 18 to 34 demo in the 9 to 10 p.m. hour.
Telemundo came in last with a 0.5.
Below, networks ranked by demo.
Fox - 3.9, 12.9 million (preliminary numbers)
- World Series: 3.9, 12.9 million
ABC - 3.3, 8.9 million
- The Middle: 2.9, 9 million
- Suburgatory: 3.1, 8.8 million
- Modern Family: 5.6, 12.8 million
- Happy Endings: 3.0, 6.9 million
- Revenge: 2.5, 8 million
CBS - 3.3, 11.6 million
- Survivor: South Pacific: 3.3, 11.1 million
- Criminal Minds: 3.9, 13.1 million
- CSI: 2.6, 10.6 million
NBC - 1.7, 6.9 million
- Up All Night: 2.1, 5.6 million
- Whitney (RS): 1.2, 4.1 million
- Harry's Law: 1.2, 8.1 million
- Law & Order: SVU: 2.1, 7.6 million
CW - 0.6, 1.6 million
- Ringer, 0.4 1.2 million
- America's Next Top Model: 0.8, 1.9 million
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)