TV Ratings: Boosted 'Modern Family' Gives ABC's 'Parents' a Solid Launch
The midseason comedy opens well with Wednesday's ideal lead-in, while "American Idol" hits another low and many other series shrink.
American Idol's ratings continue to chip away in the middle of its 12th cycle. The two-hour Fox broadcast was down from last Wednesday's showing among adults 18-49, though only by two tenths of a point (just one tenth from last week's Fast Nationals). It was enough to give the series another low for a performance episode. The episode averaged 11.5 million viewers.
CBS also saw small dips across the board, with Survivor (2.4 adults) down a tenth of a point and Criminal Minds (2.8 adults) and CSI (2.1 adults) both dropping by two tenths from their last originals. The network pulled a 2.4 rating with adults 18-49 and 9.9 million viewers.
The Middle (2.0 adults) was up two tenths of a point from last week, leading into a new slot of Suburgatory (1.8 adults). The latter only lost a tenth of a point from its most recent 9:30 p.m. showing. Modern Family (4.1 adults) jumped by nearly a full point from last week (3.2 adults), giving a strong lead for the debut of How to Live With Your Parents (2.9 adults). Also helping Parents was the fact that Modern Family ran over by a minute, so adjustments when final returns come in are likely. As of now, the freshman comedy tied last year's midseason opener of Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23 in the same time period. Nashville (1.7 adults) was up two tenths of a point at 10 p.m. ABC averaged a 2.3 rating with adults 18-49 and 7.2 million viewers.
With Whitney finishing its season, Dateline (1.4 adults) moved into the 8 p.m. hour on NBC. It was up three tenths of a point from its last Sunday broadcast. After an encore of Law & Order: SVU, Chicago Fire (1.6 adults) was down a tenth of a point, NBC averaged a 1.5 rating in the demo and 6.1 million viewers.
Arrow (0.9 adults) was even on the CW, while Supernatural (0.8 adults) shed two tenths of a point from last week. The CW pulled a 0.8 adults rating and 2.4 million viewers.
Univision averaged a 1.7 rating with adults 18-49 and 3.9 million viewers.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)