TV Ratings: CNN's Soft 'New Day' Sees Some Improvements in First Week
UPDATED: Still down double digits from the most recent month, the morning program rivals "Morning Joe" despite a demo low on its first Thursday.
With a week under its belt, CNN's New Day remains in a similar ratings scenario as its first outing: It's up from the same week in 2012 but down from the most recent monthly averages.
Nielsen returns have the broadcast poised to average 302,000 viewers during its 6 to 9 a.m. block and 102,000 viewers in the key adults 25-54 demographic. That's up a respective 53 and 15 percent from last year's decade-plus lows which saw the network post its fifth-lowest-rated month ever in adults 25-54 -- but down 21 percent and 37 percent from the most recent monthly average.
New Day, the biggest launch yet under Jeff Zucker, opened on June 17 with 247,000 viewers and 95,000 adults 25-54. The series hit a low in the demo on Thursday with just 93,000 viewers.
Hosts Chris Cuomo, Kate Bolduan and Michaela Pereira do have something to brag about in cable news rankings. Though New Day finished fourth place by both measures on its Monday opener and on Thursday, it bested HLN for the week and edged past Morning Joe in the demo.
The MSNBC series averaged 101,000 adults 25-54, just 1,000 shy of New Day.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game