TV Ratings: 'Community' Holds Ground Against Dominant 'Big Bang Theory'
The CBS comedy returns from encores to best an even "American Idol" in the demo, while dramas "Awake," "Missing" and "Touch" all see double-digit drops.
CBS returned from encores Thursday night, ending American Idol's respite from heavy competition. The network won the night in viewers, but Fox still topped in the demo.
Idol's results show brought in a 4.2 among adults 18-49, even with last week. The second episode of Touch followed with a 2.8 in the demo, marking a 15 percent drop in its first week against CBS' Person of Interest. Both broadcasts earned Fox a 3.5 average rating with adults 18-49 for the night and 12.2 million viewers.
The Big Bang Theory made the strongest demo showing of the night, a 4.5 rating, but was still down 13 percent, tying its season low. Rules of Engagement returned to Thursday, posting a tenth of a point gain from its most recent episode in December with a 2.8 in adults. Person of Interest (3.3) and The Mentalist (2.7) were both down by a tenth of a point from their previous originals three weeks ago. CBS brought in a 3.2 rating with 18-49-ers for the night and topped with 13 million viewers.
NBC still has reason to be pleased with Community. The comedy gave the network its best performance of the night, a steady 1.7 rating in the demo. 30 Rock was even with last week's 1.5, while an encore of The Office led into Up All Night, down 13 percent to a 1.3. Awake also struggled, dropping another 17 percent to 1.0 in the demo. NBC averaged a 1.3 demo showing for the night and 4.9 million viewers.
ABC was in repeats, with the exception of Missing. The midseason drama dropped 13 percent to a 1.4 rating among adults 18-49.
On The CW, both The Vampire Diaries (1.1 with adults 18-49) and The Secret Circle (0.7) were down from the previous week.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Zac Efron, Dave Franco, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse Share Crazy Stories From "Neighbors" Set at SXSW 2014
- Jennifer Aniston Would Trade Bodies With Gisele Bundchen, Is Just Like Us
- What We Want To See In 'Looking' Season 2
- I Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More: 'True Detective' and the Deep Dark Secret of the American Psyche