TV Ratings: 'Duets' Premiere Lacks Viewing Partners
The new ABC singing competition has a soft bow, while Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance" drops from last season but still tops the night.
On the heels of the American Idol finale, Fox debuted the ninth cycle of So You Think You Can Dance on Thursday night. The first round of auditions pulled a 2.4 rating among adults 18-49 and 6.2 million viewers over its two-hour broadcast, pushing the network to an easy demo win for the night. The episode marked a 27 percent drop from last summer's premiere, which earned a 3.3 adults rating, but it improved on the finale, climbing nearly half of a point.
ABC debuted its foray into singing competitions with a bit of a thud. Duets only managed to earn a 1.7 rating among adults 18-49 after several weeks of heavy promotion. Although it did improve with the demo from the first to the second hour, it lost more than 100,000 viewers at 9 p.m., averaging 6.7 million during the course of the broadcast. The return of Rookie Blue was down just two-tenths of a point from last summer's premiere with a 1.4 rating among adults 18-49. ABC averaged a 1.6 rating in the demo with 6.5 million viewers.
Tying ABC's second-place demo finish was CBS with a block of encores that took in the night's most viewers of any network: 7.6 million.
Awake ended its brief run with some good news. Despite two hours' worth of repeats leading into the final broadcast of the NBC drama, the series saw nearly a 30 percent boost from the penultimate episode with a 0.9 rating among adults 18-49.
Perez Hilton All Access debuted on The CW with just a 0.3 adults rating at 8 p.m.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws