TV Ratings: Five Months In, MNSBC's Chris Hayes Hits New Highs
The cable network's 8 p.m. hour gives a strong showing, besting CNN with the help of a boosted lead-in from a slightly rejiggered Chris Matthews.
As MSNBC continues to tinker with its evening lineup, there is good news for Chris Hayes. The host's 5-month-old nightly broadcast, which didn't exactly leap out of the gate, hit ratings highs last week.
Nielsen returns have All In With Chris Hayes posting its best averages yet among total viewers and adults 25-54 -- excluding the breaking news boost from the Boston Marathon bombings (April 15). For the week of Aug. 26, and compared to the week prior, Hayes was up 71 percent to 224,000 viewers in the cable news network's targeted demographic and up 47 percent among total viewers with a nightly average of 772,000.
All In heavily covered Syria and the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington throughout the week and featured Newark, N.J., mayor and Senate candidate Cory Booker during Thursday's episode. The 8 p.m. show outperformed CNN competition in Anderson Cooper 360 (577,000 viewers, 170 adults 25-54) on all five nights -- though it still lagged behind cable news' reigning ratings champ, Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly. The pundit was up himself, averaging 2.56 million viewers and 430,000 adults 25-54 to hold on to his status as the top broadcast of the week.
Last week was the first of a tinkered MSNBC schedule. The network, which reclaimed its primetime ratings runner-up status in August after falling behind CNN earlier this year, brought former 8 p.m. occupant The Ed Show back to weekdays at 5 p.m. Hardball With Chris Matthews also started airing exclusively at 7 p.m. in an effort to condense the host's audience. (He previously aired at both 5 and 7 p.m.)
And Chris Matthews' audience certainly helped Hayes. The MSNBC veteran saw his own ratings rise to highs not seen since the week of the Boston attack, with the new one-off 7 p.m. episodes averaging 737,000 viewers and 188,000 adults 25-54 -- up 51 percent from his August average.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!