TV Ratings: FX's 'The Americans' Suffers Week 2 Drop, Still Garners Record DVR Growth
The second outing for the Cold War drama sees a 39 percent drop in viewers and a demo score eclipsed by cable competitors "Moonshiners" and "Workaholics."
The Americans hit a slightly steep setback in its second outing. The new FX Cold War drama, which pulled a sturdy 3.22 million viewers in its premiere episode, brought in just 1.97 million during Wednesday's follow-up.
That's a 39-percent drop for the cable series. And while it's typical for a drama to see a substantial dip in its second outing, the loss far outweighs the fall's week-two drop for American Horror Story (23 percent).
Among adults 18-49, The Americans' drop was less harsh (32 percent), falling from 1.57 million to 1.57 million. Direct cable competition from Discovery's Moonshiners and Comedy Central's Workaholics both eclipsed its demo showing rating.
In the series' defense, it had a considerably less formidable lead-in during week two, growing 67 percent from Tron: Legacy. (The Americans premiere grew only 43 percent from Tom Cruise vehicle Knight and Day.)
But there is some good news for the freshman drama: The Americans premiere posted record DVR growth for FX, rising 49 percent with adults 18-49 (1.57 million to 2.34 million) and 44 percent with total viewers (3.22 million to 4.63 million) in Live+Three Day.
The Americans is now on track to easily top Justified (4.94 million total viewers) as the most-watched premiere in FX history once Live+Seven Day returns come in.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)