TV Ratings: 'Game of Thrones' Season Three Premiere Sets Record
UPDATED: Against AMC's "The Walking Dead" and History's "The Bible," the HBO series returns to 4.4 million viewers in its inaugural 9 p.m. broadcast.
Facing daunting competition from the Walking Dead season finale and TV's typical Easter evening shrinkage, Game of Thrones returned for its third season Sunday night with 4.4 million viewers, up 4 percent from its previous series high and up 13 percent when compared with its season-two premiere.
The 9 p.m. ET broadcast was up from the sophomore run's premiere haul of 3.9 million viewers -- and its finale's 4.2 million viewers. Over the course of three broadcasts, Game of Thrones brought in a combined 6.7 million viewers. That's up 7 percent from the previous best gross of 6.3 million viewers.
While Game of Thrones did face stiff competition on Sunday night, and a less than promising holiday debut, the HBO series has ramped up promotions considerably compared with the previous seasons.
The previous season of Game of Thrones saw episode viewership reach an average 11.6 million viewers in gross plays. That includes linear plays, DVR, On Demand and HBO's increasingly popular HBO Go platform. The freshman season averaged 9.3 million viewers.
Created by David Benioff and Dan Weiss and based on the best-selling A Song of Ice and Fire novels by George R. R. Martin, Game of Thrones ranks as HBO's third-most-watched series in network history.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)