TV Ratings: 'Gossip Girl' Finale Jumps, '1600 Penn' Samples Well With 'Voice' Lead
The long low-rated CW series gets a solid boost at the end, while CBS (driven by gains for "How I Met Your Mother" and "Mike and Molly") tops NBC for the night.
Against a 90-minute episode of The Voice, CBS still managed to grab a Monday win in adults 18-49 (3.1 rating), also topping in total viewers (9.8 million). A one-hour How I Met Your Mother (3.4 adults) was up six percent from the previous week's half-hour installment, while 2 Broke Girls (3.5 adults) took a five percent hit against its reality competition. Mike & Molly (3.3 adults) was also up six percent, and Hawaii Five-0 was down a tenth of a point to a 2.4 rating with 18-49-ers.
The Voice still grew a solid eight percent, week over week, in its performance finale. Approaching the end of its inaugural fall season, its 4.1 adults rating was 16 percent from the comparable episode last spring. At 9:30 p.m. NBC sampled midseason comedy 1600 Penn to the tune of a 2.3 rating among adults 18-49. Howie Mandel's Take It All (1.5 adults) was down from last Monday's telecast at 9 p.m., but up from the last three installments. NBC averaged a 2.9 adults rating and 9.3 million viewers.
Fox aired holiday specials, starting with the original broadcast of Dragons: Gift of the Night of Fury (1.5 adults rating). Encores of Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas Special (1.5 adults, up 36 percent from last year) and Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown (0.9 adults, down one tenth from last year) followed. The network averaged a 1.2 adults rating and 3.3 million viewers.
More special outings of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition aired on ABC, falling nine percent at 8 p.m. (1.0 adults) and holding steady at 9 p.m. (1.2 adults). An encore of Castle rounded out the night, giving ABC a 1.1 adults rating and 4.8 million viewers.
Gossip Girl ended its six-season run on The CW on a high note. The finale, which followed a strong clip show (0.6 adults) pulled in a 0.8 adults rating. Gossip Girl hadn't pulled that high of a demo rating since April 2011. The network averaged a 0.7 adults rating and 1.4 million viewers for the night -- its best for a Monday in over a year.
Univision had a 1.4 adults rating.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Experience The Controlled Chaos Behind Cuba Gooding Jr.'s 1997 Oscars Acceptance Speech
- John Gallagher Jr. On The Upcoming Final Season Of 'The Newsroom'
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Gedeon Luke Keeps the Soul Train Moving ; Viv and the Revival Breaks Your Heart
- Comcast To Charge Insane Amount For A Single Season Of 'House Of Cards'