TV Ratings: Lady Gaga's Thanksgiving Special Boosts ABC, CBS Wins Night
"A Very Gaga Thanksgiving" drew 5.5 million viewers, up more than 1 million viewers from last year's telecast in the same period.
On a quiet Thanksgiving evening, specials, movies and repeats ruled the roost on Thursday evening.
The highest-profile program airing on primetime was Lady Gaga's much-anticipated (and hyped) 90-minute Thanksgiving special, which the singer conceived and directed herself.
Featuring a slew of performances (one with Tony Bennett) and an interview wtih Katie Couric, A Very Gaga Thanksgiving (5.5 million total viewers, 1.6 rating in adults 18-49 demographic) proved to be beneficial for ABC, boosting the network's time period performance from last year (when it aired a Beyonce music special) by 23 percent in the core adults 18-49 demo and drew more than 1 million more viewers. The 90-minute special helped ABC post its best Thanksgiving ratings since 2007. Charlie Brown Thanksgiving drew slightly more viewers at 8 p.m., luring 5.7 million and averaging a higher 1.8 rating.
But, A Very Gaga Thanksgiving was not the highest-rated or most-watched program of the night. That honor goes to CBS, which dominates even with reruns of top-rated and most-watched The Big Bang Theory (11.2 million, 3.6) and Rules of Engagement (7.9 million, 2.4). An encore of Person of Interest (8 million, 1.7) topped the 9 p.m. hour and a rerun of The Mentalist (7.8 million, 1.5) also helped the network win in the demo (2.1) and total viewers (8.4 million).
Fox followed CBS in the demo with a 1.7 demo average. ABC placed third with a 1.6 in primetime. NBC, airing Horton Hears a Who (3.7 million, 1.1), placed fourth. The CW followed.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game