TV Ratings: Macy's Fireworks Pop on Otherwise Uneventful July 4
NBC's original broadcast and ensuing encore of the New York celebration best blocks of encores and CBS' rival pyrotechnics.
TV usage on the Fourth of July was down 21 percent from the previous Wednesday's primetime hours, and the remaining audiences flocked to fireworks.
Fast affiliate ratings give NBC's original 9 p.m. broadcast of Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular a 1.7 rating among adults 18-49, while an encore at 10 p.m. scored a 1.4 adults rating. For the original, that marked a 19 percent drop from last year's final demo score of a 2.1. The network averaged a 1.3 rating among adults 18-49 and 5.5 million viewers.
Univision scored second place in the targeted 18-49 demo, averaging a 1.1 adults rating, while CBS and ABC shared third place with a 0.7 adults rating and posted 4.4 million and 2.7 million viewers, respectively. Each of the networks offered one original outing for the night, both at 10 p.m. On CBS, The Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular was down three-tenths of a point from last year to a 0.8 rating among adults 18-49. And on ABC, the second episode of ABC News: Final Witness was down to a 0.7 rating among adults 18-49.
Fox aired four encores of New Girl, each of which pulled in a 0.6 rating among adults 18-49 and gave the network an average audience of 1.6 million viewers for the night. Encores of America's Next Top Model gave The CW a 0.2 rating among 18-49-ers and 694,000 viewers.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera