TV Ratings: 'Modern Family,' 'Happy Endings' Climb from December Lows for ABC Win
With original outings from its two-hour comedy block and "Revenge," the network topped a Wednesday of repeats and the lackluster return of Fox's "Mobbed."
ABC saw gains across the board on Wednesday night, with the night's only three-hour block of original offerings. The network topped among viewers (9.4 million) and adults 18-49 (3.3 rating) and saw double digit growth during the 9:00 p.m. hour.
According to fast affiliate ratings, Modern Family rose 10 percent from its last original outing on Dec. 7 -- which was a night of season lows for the entire line-up. The comedy nabbed a 5.6 rating among adults 18-49, followed by a new episode of Happy Endings that drew a 3.3 in the demo. The Middle and Suburgatory posted smaller gains, earning a 3.0 and a 2.9, respectively. Revenge grew the least, though it was still up 4 percent to a 2.5 among adults.
CBS pulled a 2.0 rating with 18-49-ers for the night and 8.2 million viewers, driven by special I Get That A Lot, absent from the calendar for over a year, and repeats of Criminal Minds and CSI. I Get That A Lot brought in a 2.3 in the key demo.
NBC and Fox tied for third among adults 18-49, both earning a 1.0. NBC edged out Fox in total viewers (3.8 million compared to 2.7 million) with repeats of Up All Night, Whitney, Harry's Law and Law & Order: SVU. Fox aired an encore of Glee, followed by the return of Howie Mandel's Mobbed. The series was down from 20 percent from its Nov. 23 outing with a 1.2 in the adults demo, nowhere near the enviable numbers of its April 2011 debut.
The CW continued to marathon repeats of The Secret Circle in anticipation of the freshman series' Jan 5 return to the tune of a 0.3 among adults 18-49.
Wednesday, Jan. 4, Overnight Ratings:
ABC: The Middle (9.9 million viewers, 3.0 rating among adults 18-49)
CBS: I Get That A Lot (11.5 million, 2.3)
NBC: Up All Night (R) (3.5 million, 1.0)
Fox: Glee (R) (2.4 million, 0.8)
The CW: The Secret Circle (R) (971,000, 0.3)
ABC: Suburgatory (8.7 million, 2.9)
NBC: Whitney (R) (3.1 million, 1.0)
ABC: Modern Family (13.98 million, 5.6)
CBS: Criminal Minds (R) (8.2 million, 2.0)
FOX: Mobbed (3.0 million, 1.2)
NBC: Harry's Law (R) (4.5 million, 0.8)
The CW: The Secret Circle (R) (838,000 million, 0.3)
ABC: Happy Endings (7.7 million, 3.3)
ABC: Revenge (7.95 million, 2.5)
CBS: CSI (R) (8.1 million, 1.7)
NBC: Law & Order: SVU (R) (3.7 million, 1.1)
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Man Sings Frozen's 'Let It Go' in 21 Different Disney Voices & It's as Amazing as You'd Think!
- Neil Patrick Harris Skypes in Shirtless for 'How I Met Your Mother' PaleyFest Panel!
- Three Grandmas Read Beyonce's 'Drunk in Love' Lyrics & Their Reactions Are Hilarious - Watch Now!
- Lena Dunham & Allison Williams Are 'Girls' Jetting Out of LAX!