TV Ratings: 'Modern Family' Premiere Up 18%; Fox's 'X Factor' Drives Night's Win in Key Demo
UPDATED: NBC's "Free Agents" and "Up All Night" both tumble 38% in their second week.
In a night of tough competition, Fox won Wednesday in the key demo with a 4.4 rating. It was closely followed by ABC, with a 4.1, and then CBS with a 3.5.
Still, Modern Family beat X Factor in the key 18-49 demo. Modern Family rated a 6.0, while X Factor rated a 4.4. CBS' Criminal Minds was close, with a 4.1 rating.
The two-hour series premiere of Simon Cowell's X Factor gave Fox its highest-rated Wednesday night of premiere week in 13 years (since Party of Five) among adults 18-49. It was up 52 percent from the same night last year, in which Fox aired the two-hour premiere of Hell's Kitchen.
On ABC, The Middle rated a 3.0, up 11 percent from its premiere last fall and a series high. Modern Family rated a 6.0, up 18 percent from its premiere last fall - and ABC's top-rated season premiere in six years. Revenge rated a 3.4, up 127 percent from the premiere of The Whole Truth in 2012.
On CBS, Survivor: South Pacific rated a 3.1, down 9 percent from last fall and tying its lowest-rated original ever. Criminal Minds rated a 4.1, up 2 percent from last fall, but its lowest-rated premiere ever. Still, it topped X Factor in total viewers, with 14 million vs. 12.5 million. CSI -- featuring Ted Danson's debut -- rated a 3.1, down 9 percent from its Thursday premiere on Sept. 23, 2010.
Over on NBC, which rated a 1.8 overall, the second episode of Christina Applegate's Up All Night rated a 2.3, down 38 percent from its premiere last week. Hank Azaria's Free Agents also tumbled from its premiere, rating a 1.3, down 38 percent. Harry's Law rated a 1.2. Law & Order: SVU rated a 2.3, down 28 percent from its premiere least fall, and its lowest-rated season premiere ever.
Univision is nipping at NBC's heels with a 1.7 rating.
The CW rated a 0.6, tying with Telemundo.
Below, networks ranked by demo with shows' demos and total viewers:
FOX - 4.4, 12.5 million viewers
· X Factor (P): 4.4, 12.4 million viewers
ABC - 4.1, 11.4 million viewers
· The Middle (P): 3.0, 9.6 million viewers
· Modern Family (P): 6.0, 14.3 million viewers
· Revenge (P): 3.4, 10.1 million viewers
CBS - 3.5, 12.3 million viewers
· Survivor: South Pacific: 3.1, 10.4 million viewers
· Criminal Minds (P): 4.1, 14.1 million viewers
· CSI (P): 3.1, 12.6 million viewers
NBC - 1.8, 6.6 million viewers
· Up All Night: 2.3, 6 million viewers
· Free Agents: 1.3, 3.9 million viewers
· Harry's Law (P): 1.2, 7.3 million viewers
· Law & Order: SVU (P): 2.3, 7.6 million viewers
CW - 0.6, 1.3 million viewers
· H&R (P): 0.4, 1.1 million viewers
· America's Next Top Model (P): 0.7, 1.6 million viewers
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack