TV Ratings: NBC's 'Sound of Music Live' Nears 22 Million Viewers With DVR
Live-plus-7 returns for the Dec. 5 telecast, starring Carrie Underwood, lift the network to a Thursday high not seen since "Friends" and "Frasier" wrapped in 2004.
Though the Live! proved the biggest draw in NBC's The Sound of Music Live!, the special did add some impressive DVR viewership.
Live-plus-7 ratings for the Dec. 5 telecast push it to 21.837 million viewers and a 5.6 rating. That's up from the 18.5 million viewers and 4.6 adults rating that tuned in the night of.
At the time, it marked NBC's most-watched Thursday since the E.R. finale in 2009 -- excluding sports. With the lifts, the special now outperforms every non-sporting NBC Thursday since 2004, when Friends (52.46 million) and Frasier (22.59 million) aired their final episodes over two consecutive weeks that May.
The Sound of Music Live! topped all other telecasts for the week of Dec. 2-8 -- one of several reasons why NBC is already prepping a follow-up.
"We're looking for another show, a well-known title, something that people already know and love that can interest kids and adults and can be produced live, which is no small feat," NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt recently told The Hollywood Reporter, noting the network has narrowed it down to three finalists.
Including an encore, NBC estimates that 44.18 million viewers have now watched at least some portion of the show.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack