TV Ratings: Packers-Saints Season Opener Scores for NBC
The NBC telecast was the second-highest rated regular primetime game in 13 years.
Thursday marked the beginning of the official NFL football season, and it proved to be a winner for NBC in the ratings.
The matchup between the Green Bay Packers and the New Orleans Saints was the second-highest rated regular season primetime game in 13 years and was the second-highest rated season opener to date. For NBC, the Packers victory ranked as the second highest telecast for the network.
The game delivered a 17.2 overnight rating, the highest on any network since the Denver Broncos-Miami Dolphins matchup on Dec. 21, 1998, which drew a 17.4. The Packers-Saints game peaked right before halftime with an 18.8.
CBS' Big Brother (6.5 million total viewers, 2.4) dipped 4 percent, with the network placing second in the ad-coveted demo (1.7) after NBC. CBS aired a fall preview (5.8 million, 1.6) following a Big Bang Theory repeat, that improved 14 percent from last year's telecast.
ABC's two-hour season finale of Rookie Blue (4.9 million, 1.1) rose 9 percent from last week, with the network snagging the third spot in the demo with a 1.2 average.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR