TV Ratings: 'Person of Interest' Grabs Largest Audience Since Debut, 'Prime Suspect' Hits Series Low
CBS wins the night; "The X Factor" helps Fox take the younger 18-34 demo victory on Thursday.
As the holidays loom, television viewing was down compared to the previous week.
CBS' Person of Interest (12.8 million total viewers, 2.8 rating in adults 18-49 demographic) scored an impressive uptick in total tune-in, drawing the largest audience since the rookie drama's series premiere in September. But in the demo, Interest remained steady with its last original, down three-tenths from the debut (3.1 vs. 2.8). The J.J. Abrams procedural helped CBS take the victory, averaging a 2.8 in primetime.
With Big Bang Theory (10.1 million, 2.8) showing a repeat, Rules of Engagement (9.7 million, 2.7) fell 10 percent and is a season low. An original episode of The Mentalist (13 million, 2.7) remained steady from its last episode, like Interest.
The X Factor's (9.7 million, 2.8) top four results show dipped only 3 percent versus last Thursday. In the younger adults 18-34 demo, the reality competition series saw a 5 percent improvement (2.2 vs. 2.1). Fox aired an encore of Bones (5.4 million, 1.5). All told, the network ranked second among adults 18-49 but was the top broadcast player in 18-34 for the night.
ABC placed third with a repeat of A Charlie Brown Christmas (6.4 million, 1.8), down 5 percent from last year's telecast (1.9 vs. 1.8). Katie Couric's two-hour year-end special (5.5 million, 1.5) couldn't win its 8 or 9 p.m. hours.
With NBC's comedy block all in reruns, it didn't boost Prime Suspect (3.6 million, 0.8) in any capacity, with the Maria Bello reboot plunging a drastic 38 percent from two weeks ago to hit a new series low.
The CW aired repeats of its Thursday lineup.
CBS: The Big Bang Theory (R) (10.1 million viewers, 2.8 rating in adults 18-49)
Fox: The X Factor (9.7 million, 2.8)
ABC: A Charlie Brown Christmas (R) (6.4 million, 1.8)
NBC: Community (R) (2.3 million, 0.8)
The CW: The Vampire Diaries (R) (1 million, 0.3)
CBS: Rules of Engagement (9.7 million, 2.7)
NBC: Parks and Recreation (R) (1.8 million, 0.7)
CBS: Person of Interest (12.8 million, 2.8)
Fox: Bones (R) (5.4 million, 1.5)
ABC: The Year With Katie Couric (5.5 million, 1.5)
ABC: The Office (R) (2.4 million, 1.1)
The CW: The Secret Circle (R) (874,000, 0.3)
NBC: Whitney (R) (2.1 million, 0.8)
CBS: The Mentalist (13 million, 2.7)
NBC: Prime Suspect (3.7 million, 0.8)
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack