TV Ratings: 'Rake' Holds Little 'Idol' Lead-In
With CBS in encores, Fox dominates Thursday, but its Greg Kinnear drama makes a soft debut.
Fox kicked off its new Thursday lineup with a new one-hour American Idol and the launch of Greg Kinnear starrer Rake. In Fast National returns, the reality competition averaged a 3.3 rating among adults 18-49. That's down half a point in the demo from last week's two-hour outing, but still high enough to make the show the night's top performer.
The same can't be said for Rake. The midseason drama averaged a 1.7 rating among adults 18-49 and 7.1 million viewers. That's up from Glee's time slot performance in the fall, but Glee had to contend with The X Factor's lackluster lead-in. Rake retained roughly half of Idol's more formidable adults 18-49 audience. Fox averaged a 2.5 rating with adults 18-49 and 9.6 million viewers over the two-hour block.
Repeats were enough to lock in second-place status for CBS. Carefully anchoring the 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. hours with encores of The Big Bang Theory, the network averaged a 1.9 rating with adults 18-49 and 8.8 million viewers.
The Taste, averaging a 1.1 rating with adults 18-49, improved by two-tenths of a point from last week -- a 22 percent rebound. Coupled with a Shark Tank repeat in the vacant 10 p.m. time slot, ABC took a 1.1 demo rating and 3.9 million viewers over the night.
NBC's old-guard comedies Community (1.1 adults) and Parks and Recreation (1.2 adults) each held last week's scores. At 9 p.m., struggling Michael J. Fox Show and Sean Saves the World saw little lift in their time slot switch. With Fox leading into Sean for the first time this season, both averaged a 0.7 rating with adults 18-49 -- each up a tenth of a point from last week's series lows. Parenthood (1.3 adults), the night's only original at 10 p.m., improved by a tenth of a point. NBC averaged a 1.0 rating in the demo and 3.2 million viewers.
The Vampire Diaries hit 100 episodes on The CW with its most-watched episode since November. The episode averaged a 1.1 rating among adults 18-49 and 2.7 million viewers. At 9 p.m. Reign (0.7 adults) was up a tenth of a point from its most recent showing. The CW netted a 0.9 rating in the demo and 2.2 million viewers.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10