TV Ratings: Shaun White Wipeout Doesn't Deter Olympic Viewers
The Sochi Winter Games are up over the comparable night in Vancouver, suffocating Fox originals "Dads," "New Girl" and "Brooklyn Nine-Nine."
Any Olympic fans who had already heard about Shaun White's half-pipe wipeout on Tuesday, thanks to the lengthy time delay from Sochi, did not seem deterred from watching the actual event when they aired later on NBC. The Winter Games were up from their comparable night in 2010.
With an average 6.6 rating among adults 18-49, Tuesday's Sochi coverage was up 20 percent from NBC's first Tuesday in Vancouver. Total viewership was also up to 23.7 million, a 16 percent increase.
With the exception of an even Killer Women (0.7 adults), ABC (0.8 adults; 3.1 million viewers) aired repeats -- as did CBS (1.1 adults; 7.8 million viewers).
Fox did not take that route. The network aired originals of its Tuesday comedy block, including the last two episodes of Dads' freshman season. The sitcom went out on a low note, averaging a 1.2 rating with adults 18-49 at 8 p.m. and a 1.0 rating in its second half-hour -- drops of three- and five-tenths of a point from last week.
New Girl (1.3 adults) and Brooklyn Nine-Nine (1.2 adults) both hit series lows. The duo were down a respective three- and two-tenths of a point. Fox took a 1.2 rating with adults 18-49 and 2.8 million viewers.
The CW aired a movie for a 0.2 rating with adults 18-49 and 796,000 viewers.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10