TV Ratings: Sochi Dips Again on Tuesday, Fox Airs Special 'American Idol'
Falling below Vancouver once more, NBC's 12th official night of Olympic competition also sheds 5 million viewers from Monday's highs.
After Monday's big night for NBC Olympic coverage -- the primetime block bested all second Monday Winter Olympics since Salt Lake City in 2002 -- Sochi's showing again dipped below Vancouver.
For Tuesday, Fast National returns give NBC's Winter Olympics coverage an average 4.8 rating among adults 18-49 and 18.5 million viewers -- respective drops of 11 and 13 percent from the 2010 games. It also marked a steep loss of 5 million viewers from Monday. Still outperforming Torino in total viewers, the demo lag behind the last time-delayed Olympics is widening. Sochi now stands 8 percent shy of the 2006 Italian games.
Competition was again at a minimum, though Fox programmed a special American Idol. With an average 2.7 rating among adults 18-49 and 9.6 million viewers, it proved a much safer bet than its comedy block when faced with Sochi.
The rest of the nets were in repeats, though ABC did air another Killer Women. The drama, averaging just a 0.6 rating in the demo, was down a tenth of a point for another series low.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR