TV Ratings: 'Sunday Night Football' Sets Primetime Ratings Record for NBC
Giving the network its highest-rated primetime showing for a regular season game, the season finale also bests a 15-year record across all networks.
Sunday Night Football went out on an especially high note for NBC, with the matchup between the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins earning football's biggest ratings for a primetime regular season game in 15 years.
The game averaged 26.67 million viewers and a 18.3 overnight rating among households. The last game to pull in higher numbers was ABC's 1997 showdown between the Broncos and the 49ers.
In the demo, early returns gave the game a whopping 9.0 rating among adults 18-49. With a 90-minute Football Night in America (4.2 adults rating), NBC averaged a 7.3 rating in the key demo and 21.4 million viewers for the entire night.
Football overrun and animation encores gave Fox a distant second-place finish for the night. The network averaged a 3.7 rating with adults 18-49 and 10.3 million viewers.
CBS, which also started the night with football overrun, had a new episode of 60 Minutes (1.5 adults) followed by encores. The network averaged a 1.1 with adults 18-49 and 7.5 million viewers.
Airing an America's Funniest Home Videos repeat and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, ABC netted a 0.9 adults rating and 3.5 million viewers.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack