TV Ratings: 'Today' Scores First Weekly Victory Over 'GMA' in Six Months
The NBC morning show bests its ABC competition in the targeted demographic, helping narrow the season-to-date gap between first and second place.
Good Morning America may have enjoyed some of December's biggest headlines -- the departure of Sam Champion, a trip to Rome and now Robin Roberts revealing her same-sex relationship -- but it's Today that has made the most notable ratings news.
The NBC morning show scored a victory among the targeted adults 25-54 demographic for the week of Dec. 16, the first time Today has done so in nearly six months (week of July 8). With an average 2.214 million adults 25-54, Today bested GMA (2.196 million) by 18,000.
Among total viewers, Today remained in second place with 5.235 million viewers to GMA's 5.572 million -- though, at only 337,000 viewers, the gap has not been this narrow in almost a year.
For the 2013-14 season, all of the morning shows are up -- CBS This Morning included -- and GMA remains in the lead. It's besting Today by an average 708,000 viewers and 59,000 adults 25-54. For GMA, it marks the show's biggest audience in 22 years and its highest number in the key demo in eight years.
The start of the new year does bode especially well for Today. The show, which has been relegated to runner-up status for over a year now thanks to a surging GMA, will likely benefit from the customary Olympics boost when NBC begins its exclusive coverage of the Sochi Winter Games on Feb. 7.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game