TV Ratings: 'Under the Dome' Premiere Gives CBS a Summer Best
UPDATED: The new drama ties "The Following" as the second-highest-rated drama launch of the last year, falling shy of "Revolution."
CBS breathed some life into its summer schedule on Monday night, launching drama Under the Dome at 10 p.m.
Fast National returns give the series premiere a 3.2 rating with adults 18-49 -- 13.1 million viewers. That ties it with The Following for second-highest-rated drama premiere of the 2012-13 season (both falling shy of NBC's Revolution) and gives it the biggest audience for a drama launch in the last year. It also marks CBS' most watched summer debut since 2000 (Big Brother) and its highest rated since 2005 (Fire Me Please).
With encores leading up to the premiere, CBS averaged a 2.1 rating among adults 18-49 and 8.2 million viewers for the night. The network lost Monday's full demo bragging rights to NBC, which aired the sixth and last game of the Stanley Cup Finals. Preliminary numbers for the live game give it a 3.1 adults rating, up 94 percent from last year's Game 6, and 7.9 million viewers.
The Bachelorette (1.9) was up on ABC, rising two-tenths of a point. Mistresses (1.1 adults) took a tenth of a point hit at 10 p.m., facing tough competition with the launch of CBS' Dome. ABC averaged a 1.6 rating with adults 18-49 and 5.5 million viewers.
Fox had a new episode of Goodwin Games (0.6 adults), up a tenth of a point from last week, and the last scheduled airing of FX's Anger Management (0.5 adults). The network averaged a 0.6 rating in the demo and 1.7 million viewers.
A new episode of Oh Sit (0.3 adults) was even on The CW, giving the network an average 0.2 adults rating and 690,000 viewers for the night.
Univision averaged a 1.6 rating among adults 18-49 and 3.6 million viewers, while Telemundo had a 0.7 demo rating and 1.6 million viewers.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game