TV Station Falsely Reports Names of Asiana Flight Pilots
UPDATE: An NTSB summer intern confirmed the fake names to the Bay Area media outlet.
Update: The National Safety and Transportation board has issued a statement apologizing for a summer intern who confirmed fake and racist Asiana Airlines pilot names to Bay Area station KTVU, which broadcast them on Friday.
An NTSB public affairs officer previously told The Hollywood Reporter on Friday that the agency did not release the names or confirm them to the station. The officer, pointing to the latest statement, has now clarified that the agency "does not release or confirm the names of crewmembers or people involved in transportation accidents to the media."
Bay Area TV station KTVU, whose initial video footage of the Boeing 777 crash that left three dead and many wounded on Sunday was carried by major networks, is in hot water for falsely reporting the names of the Asiana Airlines pilots.
On Friday, the station reported the names as being "Captain Sum Ting Wong," "Wi Tu Lo," "Ho Lee Fuk" and "Bang Ding Ow."
The news outlet has subsequently apologized for the report but maintained that those names were confirmed by "an NTSB official in the agency’s Washington, D.C., office," a statement on the station's website read.
“We sincerely regret the error and took immediate action to apologize, both in the newscast where the mistake occurred, as well as on our website and social media sites,” said Tom Raponi, KTVU/KICU vice president and GM, in a statement.
“Nothing is more important to us than having the highest level of accuracy and integrity, and we are reviewing our procedures to ensure this type of error does not happen again," Raponi added.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack