David Lynch Says He's Leaving 'Twin Peaks' Reboot: "Not Enough Money"

"I left because not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done," he tweeted Sunday.
Austin Hargrave

David Lynch is done with Showtime's Twin Peaks reboot.

Lynch, who co-created the series with Mark Frost, had been on board to direct the project, but he tweeted Sunday that money issues have led to his departure. Lynch said that the project was still alive at the network but that "not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done."

In a statement released to The Hollywood Reporter, a Showtime rep said the network is disappointed with Lynch's decision.

"We were saddened to read David Lynch's statement today, since we believed we were working towards solutions with David and his reps on the few remaining deal points," the statement read. "Showtime also loves the world of Twin Peaks, and we continue to hold out hope that we can bring it back in all its glory with both of its extraordinary creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost, at its helm."

Showtime previously announced in October that a nine-episode Twin Peaks limited series was in the works for a planned 2016 premiere.

At a Television Critics Association panel in January, Showtime Networks president David Nevins confirmed that Kyle MacLachlan would be starring in the show. Nevins admitted to having begged Lynch and Frost to bring back Twin Peaks, which launched in April 1990 on ABC and lasted for two seasons.

Lynch's tweets are below.

Email: Ryan.Gajewski@THR.com
Twitter: @_RyanGajewski

comments powered by Disqus