Valerie Harper's Brain Cancer 'Close to Remission,' Doctor Tells NBC (Video)
The actress' neuro-oncologist reveals on "Today" that she has hope and a bit more time in her battle with a rare, terminal disease.
Valerie Harper's rare, terminal brain cancer may be close to remission, the actress' neuro-oncologist revealed exclusively on NBC's Today show Thursday morning.
A recent MRI showed that the Rhoda actress' leptomeningeal carcinomatosis is "pretty close to remission," Dr. Jeremy Rudnick told Meredith Vieira in a sneak peek at an upcoming special about Harper's battle.
That development "defies the odds," Rudnick said, but he cautioned that her condition could change at any time.
"They develop resistance to the therapy," Rudnick said of patients undergoing treatments similar to Harper's. "And it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when."
So what this news really means is that Harper has more time, during which, hopefully, a more effective treatment will come along.
Harper revealed her terminal brain cancer diagnosis in March. Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis is a disease in which cancer cells spread into the membrane surrounding the brain. Her physicians gave her three to six months to live when she was diagnosed Jan. 15.
Harper previously beat lung cancer.
Rudnick is one of the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center physicians treating her, along with oncologist Dr. Ronald Natale.
NBC will offer viewers a closer look at Harper's battle with cancer on Valerie's Story - a Meredith Vieira Special, which is set to air on Thursday, Sept. 19, at 10 p.m., after the finale of NBC's new Ryan Seacrest-hosted reality show, Million Second Quiz.
It was reported yesterday that Harper could be one of the contestants on the upcoming fall season of ABC's Dancing With the Stars.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Let's Help Rush Limbaugh With This Whole Movies With The Word 'Slave' In The Title Thing