VH1 Drops 'Ev and Ocho' After Chad Johnson's Arrest
UPDATED: The reality series following the former NFL All-Pro and his wife, Evelyn Lozada, was scheduled to premiere Sept. 3.
VH1 has canceled the upcoming reality series Ev and Ocho following the arrest of Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson and his subsequent release by the Miami Dolphins.
"Due to the unfortunate events over the weekend and the seriousness of the allegations, VH1 is pulling the series Ev and Ocho from its schedule and has no current plans of airing it," the network said in a statement.
The unscripted series was scheduled to premiere Sept. 3 and follow Johnson -- a six-time Pro Bowl wide receiver and reality TV veteran -- and his new wife, Basketball Wives star Evelyn Lozada.
Johnson was arrested Saturday on simple domestic battery charges after allegedly head-butting Lozada during an argument in their car outside their Florida residence. According to the arrest report, she found a receipt for condoms in the car's trunk and confronted him about it.
After posting $2,500 bond the next day, Johnson was cut by the Dolphins, shutting him out of HBO's docuseries Hard Knocks: Training Camp With the Miami Dolphins.
Johnson, the 2010 Dancing With the Stars semifinalist and star of VH1's dating series Ochocinco: The Ultimate Catch, married Lozada on the Fourth of July, live-tweeting their wedding, which was filmed for the VH1 series. Lozada, the ex-fiancee of former NBA player Antoine Walker, stars on the current season of VH1's Basketball Wives. Her courtship with Johnson and their engagement figured prominently in the storyline, with a February episode showing them discussing rumors of infidelity.
The couple also got plenty of screen time during the first episode of Hard Knocks: Dolphins, which premiered Aug. 7. Johnson -- who legally changed his last name to Ochocinco in 2008, then changed it back July 23 -- had been trying to revive his career with the Dolphins and played briefly in their preseason opener Friday night. Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said during a news conference Monday: "It's more about the fit; in my gut I didn't think the fit was going to be beneficial to either party moving forward. … It wasn't about one specific thing; it just wasn't going to work."
Johnson spent the 2011 season with the New England Patriots but never really synched up with quarterback Tom Brady. He caught one pass in the Patriots' Super Bowl XLVI loss the New York Giants in February.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack