John Mayer Trio Reunites for First TV Performance in Five Years (Video)
Trio members Mayer, Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan jammed on a JJ Cale song with Chick Corea, Manolo Madrena and Wallace Roney.
As promised, John Mayer is back in the studio with bassist Pino Palladino and drummer Steve Jordan. The John Mayer Trio reunited for their first televised performance in five years, performing on a Late Night With Seth Meyers episode that aired Thursday.
After Meyers interviewed Lena Dunham on the late-night talk show, the blues rock trio jammed on JJ Cale's "After Midnight," which was appropriate in light of the Saturday Night Live alum's new time slot, with jazz legends Chick Corea, Manolo Madrena and Wallace Roney. Mayer also confirmed on Twitter that Corea will appear on the next John Mayer Trio album, the follow-up to the group's 2005 debut, Try!
Mayer told The Hollywood Reporter last month that he would be spending February collaborating with other musicians to prepare for his next solo record, planned for 2015, and that the Trio "will be coming back" in the meantime.
"I won't be touring as much," he said. "I really want to get the record right, focus and compile, as well as work on some side projects."
Watch the performance below:
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)