9:47pm PT by Rebecca Ford
'The Voice' Quarterfinals: 9 Things You Didn't See on TV
On Monday, Christina Aguilera and Blake Shelton were forced to eliminate one member of each of their teams in a shocking instant elimination.
The Hollywood Reporter attended the live show to bring you the behind-the-scenes details that the home audience didn’t get to see.
Here are 9 things that went down when the cameras weren’t rolling.
1. Not-so-live. Adam Levine and Maroon 5 performed during the show – or so it seemed. The performance was actually pre-recorded 30 minutes before the show went live. Levine and Co. ran through the performance of their new single, “Payphone,” which features Wiz Khalifa, twice. After the first performance, Levine said, "I gotta hear myself man. I couldn’t hear s--t."
2. A new record. Before the show began, the warm up guy congratulated Shelton on his 11th No. 1 single. He asked Shelton if that was more than Levine had. “It’s probably more than the other three [judges] combined,” Shelton joked.
3. Positive thoughts. During the commercial break after the first live performance, the warm-up guy told the audience to please resist booing if they weren’t happy with a performance. “We’re a very positive show,” he said.
4. Friendly with fans. During one commercial break, Aguilera got up from her coach’s chair to hug a member of the audience after the warm-up guy found out that he was wearing a “Team Christina” shirt. But that wasn’t the end of his fandom—he also had her name tattooed on the back of his neck. Later on, Levine also hugged a member of the audience who told the warm-up guy she was his fan. He did a little dance with her, and signed her Maroon 5 shirt.
5. It’s still hot. As we’ve mentioned previously, it’s hot on that stage. And it continued to be hot tonight. Aguilera had brought her own paper fan with her. At one point Levine helped out fellow coach Cee Lo Green by fanning him with a piece of paper.
6. A true gentleman. While Chris Mann was waiting onstage for his performance to begin, he offered up a hand to the dancer/violinists as they climbed the stairs to the platform for his performance.
7. Kick off those heels. After Christina Aguilera’s performance with her team, she kicked off her killer heels the minute the cameras stopped rolling. She quickly ran off the stage to change in time for Ashley’s performance. She made it back to her chair with about two minutes to spare.
8. Touch-ups. While all of the coaches are usually given makeup and hair touch-ups during the commercial breaks, the prize for the most makeup touch-ups goes to Aguilera and – perhaps surprisingly -- Green. A lot of work seems to go into keeping Green’s head from shining too much on camera.
9. On the red carpet. After the show, eliminated contestant Jesse was pulled aside by Christina Millian. He told THR that Millian told him that she was shocked by his elimination. “She knows that the world hasn’t seen the last of me,” he told THR.