'The Voice's' Tony Lucca on Christina Aguilera Criticism: 'I Saw It Coming'
The competitor weighs in on the coach's comments that his performance of Jay-Z's "99 Problems" was "derogatory to women."
What were the chances of coach Christina Aguilera putting a moratorium on her feud with fellow ex-Mouseketeer Tony Lucca for finals week on The Voice? Slim to none, if you ask the competitor.
“I want to say I saw it coming,” Lucca tells The Hollywood Reporter of Aguilera’s comments, calling his performance of Jay-Z's "99 Problems" “derogatory to women.” “She knew what I was singing. I think she was anticipating me actually dropping the ‘B’ bomb -- which was in the cards and last minute, was not in the cards. And so, I think she was trying to set it up.”
“And I get it,” he continues. “You’re trying to set the stage so that I seem crass and unprofessional and disrespectful. Or not, I’m just glad I don’t have to speculate about this crap anymore.”
Luckily for Lucca, they decided not to include the original song’s “bitch” word in his rendition on Monday’s show. And Lucca says he’s fairly sure he got across what he wanted to and that his family wasn’t offended by the song choice.
“I had a lot of fun up there,” he says. “I gave a great performance and I more than likely turned the heads of those I wanted to, the least of which was my wife. And she right away got on Twitter and was like, ‘No, I wasn’t offended at all by that.’ ”
Lucca calls his feud with Aguilera a blessing and a curse. “It’s been a lot of fun to use it for motivation and inspiration each week,” he explains. “But, as I said before, it’s kind of a bummer that it was this dark cloud that was pervasive the whole season, edging out other really great stories that were going on here.”
With the competitive parts of the show over with, Lucca is looking forward to performing two more songs on Tuesday’s finale episode. “They paired me up with pretty special singers and one’s going to be quite a surprise and the other is really cool treat for me, because I’m a big fan,” he teases.
And by the way, if you’re holding your breath for Lucca to perform an Aguilera hit, the singer says that isn’t going to happen. “Why would I sing a Christina song? Are you nuts? Britney [Spears] is one thing…” he laughs and smartly doesn’t complete the sentence.
Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter: @TheRealJethro
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera