9:45am PT by Josh Wigler
Week in 'Game of Thrones': Winter Comes for Comic-Con, House Frey and Ed Sheeran
HBO's Game of Thrones launched its seventh season with three royal developments: Jon Snow (Kit Harington) rules in Winterfell, albeit with some protest from the people around him; Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey) holds the throne in King's Landing, though she lacks meaningful allies; and Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) has landed at Dragonstone, and the only thing standing between her and victory seems to be time — as in, it's only a matter of it.
But perhaps the biggest moments of the week didn't belong to the people vying for power in the Seven Kingdoms; instead, it's the men and women fighting in the trenches for purpose and destiny who stood out in the crowd — folks like Rory McCann's The Hound and John Bradley's Samwell Tarly, both of whom spoke with The Hollywood Reporter about their characters' respective quests in the season premiere. That's not even mentioning Arya Stark (Maisie Williams) and her biggest episode in a good little while: first killing the entirety of House Frey, and then breaking bread with Ed Sheeran's character (who in turn had his own share of drama to deal with surrounding his Thrones cameo).
That's not even mentioning Comic-Con, which launched just days after the Game of Thrones season seven premiere. Winter came for San Diego in the form of an interactive experience, a panel packed with players from the show and a new trailer that previews the weeks ahead.
And then there's the show tangentially related to Thrones: David Benioff and Dan Weiss' forthcoming HBO series Confederate, an alternate-history Civil War drama the pair announced earlier this week. The news received mixed reactions, to put it mildly, and the Thrones showrunners went on the record to defend their vision for their new series, which was co-created by Malcolm Spellman and Nichelle Tramble Spellman.
Below, find quick-and-easy links to all of our coverage of the premiere (including interviews, deep dives and the first episode of our new podcast with Post Show Recaps), Thrones at Comic-Con, Confederate and early looks at the week ahead.
News From Westeros
• Season 7 Premiere: TV Review
• Seven Key Scenes From the Premiere
• Every Season Premiere, Ranked
• Game of Thrones Premiere Crashes HBO Website
• TV Ratings: Premiere Crushes Previous Audience Record
• Game of Thrones Premiere Enlisted Jon Snow to Help Prevent Spoilers
• Kit Harington Discusses Jon Snow's Past and Future Ambitions
• David Benioff and Dan Weiss Announce New HBO Series: Confederate
• Benioff and Weiss Defend Confederate Sci-Fi Slave Drama: "The Concern Is Real"
Ed Sheeran Watch
• Ed Sheeran Lands in Westeros
• Even Ed Sheeran Is Freaking Out About His Cameo
• Ed Sheeran's Twitter Account Back Online, Hours After Disappearing
• Ed Sheeran Denies Deleting Twitter Account Because of Thrones Backlash
• Rory McCann on The Hound's Fiery Future
• Ramin Djawadi on Traveling From Westeros to Westworld
• John Bradley Describes Shooting Premiere's Filthiest Scene
• How Daenerys' Homecoming Was Designed
• Director Recalls Ed Sheeran's One Request on Set
• Sophie Turner on Graduating From the HBO Series
• How the Season 7 Premiere Sets the Stage for the Endgame
• A Closer Look at Arya Stark's Red Wedding Response
• Podcast: How Season 7's Premiere Forecasts a Major Death
• What the Hound's Story Says About Season 7's Future
The Next Episode
• Watch the Trailer for Season 7's Second Episode
• What's Coming in "Stormborn"
• New "Stormborn" Photos Tease a Violent Confrontation
• Must-See Moment: Return of the King (and Queen) Whisperers
Watch the video below for the Game of Thrones cast's preview of season seven's battles.
Follow THR.com/GameOfThrones all season long for news, interviews, theories and more.