Jesus, Shoes and Scottie Pippen Highlight Big WE tv Development Slate (Exclusive)
The female-skewing cable network is prepping seven docuseries including efforts about aspiring dancers and a dating series where women must pick between eligible bachelors and their shoes.
WE tv is appealing to its core female audience's interest in dating, shoes and religion with an ambitious slate of seven unscripted series vying for a place on its 2013-14 schedule.
The network that's home to Braxton Family Values, its spinoff Tamar & Vince as well as wedding-themed entries Bridezillas and My Fair Wedding is eyeing similarly themed entries including a docuseries revolving around NBA Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen and his wife Larsa and Single Brides.
"All of the shows take a bold, edgy approach to programming by spotlighting characters whose lives we want to explore," WE tv senior vp original production and development Lauren Gellert told The Hollywood Reporter. "These are women who are juggling it all just like the rest of us but have what I call a 'built-in entertainment factor' -- Cyndi Lauper, the rock star [who stars in Cyndi Lauper: Still So Unusual]; Kendra, the sex symbol [of Kendra on Top]; Larsa Pippen, the powerful business woman behind the Pippen brand."
WE tv, owned and operated by AMC Networks, is available in 81 million homes. Here's a look at all seven series in development:
• Bedroom Confidential features five female friends who allow cameras access to every aspect of their lives, including their bedrooms.
• Big Pippen, from Left Right Productions, revolves around Chicago power couple Larsa and Scottie Pippen. From private jets to designer digs, diamond rings and six NBA championships, the Pippens live a truly charmed life. Add in her overbearing family and his clan from Arkansas, and this duo is living life Big Pippen style.
• Chasing Ballroom, from Sony, is described as the real-life Dancing With the Stars, where the stars are real women who indulge their fantasy of being a dancer.
• Divas for Jesus, which hails from Bischoff Hervey, follows an ensemble cast of women working, playing, raising a family and having fun who unite Sundays for their shared love of Jesus by attending mass and cleansing their "dirty little souls."
• Powerlist, produced by Electus, follows successful, self-made women who refuse to choose between having an amazing career and a family.
• Shoe Whores (working title), from Go Go Luckey, explores the relationship between women and their shoes and what happens when a woman is asked to choose between her favorite pair and an eligible bachelor. When a single woman selects her favorite shoe, it comes attached to a single guy who selected the same one in the hopes of finding the lady of his dreams. Host Ritch Erani (boutique CHUCKiES New York) sends each duo on a romantic date, and at the end he gives the bachelorettes the choice to go out again and keep the shoes or refuse and go home barefoot and alone.
• Single Brides, produced by World of Wonder, follows women across the country planning their weddings -- without the groom.
"Whether it's a hobby they've always wished they'd indulged in, like Chasing Ballroom, or the intimacies of their dating lives revealed as in Bedroom Confidential, these shows help women tap into their own imagined life," Gellert said.
The unscripted entries come as WE tv is eyeing a move into original scripted drama series, according to sources, alongside female-focused networks including Bravo and Discovery, among others.
Sundance: On the Scene