'X Factor' Contestant Butchers Britney Spears' 'Crazy'; Judges Storm Off
"They all looked pretty pissed," says an onlooker of one "horrifyingly bad" audition by a Greensboro, North Carolina hopeful.
Britney Spears is finding new meaning in the chorus to her 1999 hit "(You Drive Me) Crazy," and it's not of the "excited," keep-me-up-all-night kind.
Auditioning with a Britney hit has become a semi-regular occurance on The X Factor audition tour, which has already hit Austin, San Francisco, Providence, Rhode Island and, on Monday, Greensboro, North Carolina -- that's where one season 2 hopeful "completely butchered" the Spears classic, according to a witness, causing fellow panelists L.A. Reid, Demi Lovato and Spears herself to walk off in protest.
"This contestant was so horrifyingly bad, they literally couldn't stand it another second," an onlooker tells THR. "L.A. Reid stood up and said he had enough and left, taking the girls with him. They all looked pretty pissed." Simon Cowell was left at the table unsure of what to do next.
Why such a strong reaction? It appears Reid, who's been described as "Britney's new bestie," takes any mockery of Spears very seriously. "L.A. gets very protective," says a source. Could the Epic Records boss be wooing the pop star from RCA Records to his side of the Sony building? Hmmm...
Meanwhile, our season 1 prophecy that Reid can and will out-mean Cowell seems to be coming true. One recent Providence auditioner who was all of 14 years old was told by Reid, "I don't know how you got in front of us," which elicited tears and a round of boos from the audience.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Kristen Bell Stuns In Pink Gown With Thigh-High Slit At 'Veronica Mars' Premiere
- Jennifer Lopez Rocks Neon Skinny Jeans On 'American Idol' Set
- Khloe Kardashian Wows In Curve-Hugging Dress At Miami Dash Opening
- Mindfulness in Everyday Life -- So You Want to Be Famous? What You Need to Know About Celebrity
- Amazon Is Raising the Price of Amazon Prime
- Lars’s Real Girl: Charlotte Gainsbourg on Fame, Nymphomaniac, and Working With von Trier
- Edelstein on Le Week-End: Unbelievably Marvelous, in Light of Its Depressing Trajectory
- Ebiri: If Need for Speed Were a Silent Movie, It Would Be the Most Amazing Racing Movie Ever