'X-Factor's' Simon Cowell and L.A. Reid: We've Protected Girls From Paula and Nicole (Video)
The two male judges acknowledge a gender bias on the panel.
The X Factor fans may have noticed that judges Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger have been hard on the girls during the audition round. Co-judges Simon Cowell and L.A. Reid jokingly acknowledge the bias.
“We’ve protected girls on this show,” Cowell tells AOL while Reid nods in agreement. “We are very confident. Good-looking guy comes in, if they’re talented, no issues at all, don’t care, I’m happy.”
The most glaring example of this would probably be Tiah Tolliver. She was clearly pretty, had the pipes, and the attitude to be a competitor on the show, but Paula and especially Nicole picked her to pieces. They’re entitled to their opinions, but there were definitely less talented men who advanced before her. On Wednesday’s boot camp episode, Tiah came back strong and Cowell made sure to remind the women of how they doubted her.
“If you’re talented, if you’re female, and you’re young, you’re not going to get through if it’s Paula and Nicole’s decision,” he continues. “I said this to someone early on, we’re protecting an endangered species. But, we couldn’t let them near the girls. As L.A. said earlier, it would’ve been an all-male competition.”
‘It’s the absolute truth,” Reid adds.
Watch the AOL interview below.
Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter: @TheRealJethro
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR