Zooey Deschanel Launches Production Company, Inks First-Look Deal at 'New Girl' Studio
Deschanel and her Hello Giggles partner Sophia Rossi will focus on developing comedies and dramas as part of the two-year deal.
New Girl star Zooey Deschanel is getting serious about producing.
She and her Hello Giggles partner Sophia Rossi not only have launched a production shingle but inked a first-look deal with New Girl studio 20th Century Fox Television, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. As part of the two-year deal, the duo will be focused on developing both comedy and drama fare.
Had New Girl writer-producer J.J. Philbin's comedy Must Be Nice been ordered to pilot at Fox, Deschanel, Rossi and the femme-focused Hello Giggles website co-founder Molly McAleer would have served as executive producers on the potential series. The half-hour project, from 20th TV and New Girl's Chernin Entertainment, explored the generation gap between two women who are only seven years apart when a chaotic, single 27-year-old moves in with her more responsible, 34-year-old married sister.
Deschanel, who has a producer credit on New Girl, is repped by UTA, Seven Summits and Hanson Jacobson.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)