"Blue Valentine" is a black-sympathy card to a marriage on the rocks. Starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams, this Sundance Film Festival U.S. dramatic competition entrant will stir initial interest based on that pairing, but the grinding regurgitation of the dissolution -- we're sick of this couple long before the film is over -- will stimulate viewers to file(out) for an annulment midway through.
Blue Valentine's best prospects may be on DVD, targeting Cassavetes' admirers, and Europeans who are stimulated by the aesthetics of hand-held cinema over-punctuated with close-ups.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed