PARK CITY -- (Premieres) Since expanding from acting into directing with "The Station Agent" and "The Visitor," Tom McCarthy has shown an unerring touch with minor-key character-based comedy and emotionally honest drama. Those qualities are again front and center in his third feature.
It's no surprise that McCarthy is a skilled actor's director, but the heartfelt compassion and observational acuity that infuses the writer-director's films is what distinguishes them most. In all three features, he has shown a rare ability to shape unexpected connections between very real people, guiding them toward gently uplifting outcomes that are neither manipulative nor sentimental. That might make him one of the least cynical filmmakers working in America.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed