15 Youngest-Skewing TV Shows This Season: 'Gossip Girl,' 'Parks & Recreation,' 'Vampire Diaries'
"Family Guy" and "The Simpsons" also rank among the broadcast shows with the youngest median age in prime-time.
Another TV season is complete, with Madison Avenue buyers lamenting the exodus of younger viewers.
According to the Nielsen Company, NBC saw it's 18 to 49 veiwership plummet 14 percent this year, with CBS and ABC following with declines of 9 percent and 8 percent, respectively.
It is Fox and the CW, both of which dropped only 5 percent in the coveted demo, that dominate the crop of younger-skewing shows, care of Fox's animated comedies and the CW's female-leaning drama and reality fare. Together the networks air 13 of the the 15 series with the youngest median age in primetime. Shows such as Family Guy (median age: 30.9)and The Simpsons (median age: 32.4) lifted Fox to its seventh consecutive season as No. 1 among the top four broadcast networks in the advertiser-beloved 18 to 49 demo.
With the help of Nielsen data-cruncherBrad Adgate, senior vice president of research at Horizon Media, The Hollywood Reporter took a look at the 15 youngest broadcast network series (excluding sports, newsmagazines and repeats) for the 2010-11 season.
1. CW's Gossip Girl - Median Age: 29.3
2. Fox's Cleveland Show - Median Age: 30.8
3. Fox's Family Guy - Median Age: 30.9
4. Fox's Bob's Burgers - Median Age: 31.5 (TIE)
4. Fox's American Dad - Median Age: 31.5 (TIE)
6. CW's Hellcats* - Median Age: 31.7
7. CW's 90210 - Median Age: 31.8
8. CW's One Tree Hill - Median Age: 32
9. Fox's The Simpsons - Median Age: 32.4
10. CW's Shedding for the Wedding - Median Age: 33.3
11. CW's Vampire Diaries - Median Age: 33.6 (TIE)
11. CW's Life Unexpected* - Median Age: 33.6 (TIE)
13. CW's America's Next Top Model - Median Age: 34.5**/35.7***
14. NBC's The Office - Median Age: 35.9
15. NBC's Parks and Recreation - Median Age: 37
Note: Estimates include live plus same day viewing. *Since Canceled. **Cycle 9. ***Cycle 10.
Email: Lacey.Rose@THR.com; Twitter: @LaceyVRose
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott