London 2012: IOC President "Satisfied" With Security Arrangements
Olympics chief Jacques Rogge tells world media on arrival in the British capital that organizers are looking forward to a "very good games".
LONDON – International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge told the media Saturday his organization was "satisfied" with the U.K. government and London organizers' assurances on Games security.
The Olympic bigwig told a press conference Saturday night: "The security arrangements are in place now and we are satisfied with them."
Additional troops and police officers have been drafted in to help with security after it emerged last week with less than two weeks before the Games were due to begin that private security contractor G4S was suffering from a shortage of staff.
He said that the call for 3,500 troops, taking the total to 17,000, with a further 1,200 on standby, to deal with shortfalls from G4S had not affected security plans and called for the media to "move on".
Rogge said he believed London's event would be a "very good" Games and expects it to carry a flavor of Britain thanks to the enthusiasm of "the country that invented modern sport".
Said Rogge: "Going to London, it's going to the country that invented modern sport in the second half of the 19th century, included sport in its school curriculum, loves sport, knows sport well. This will come out of these Games."
The London 2012 Olympic Games kick off July 27 with an opening ceremony directed by Oscar winner Danny Boyle.