21st Century Fox's Sky Deutschland Launches SVOD Offering in Germany
The subscription on demand service will offer feature films and episodes of HBO series such as “True Blood” and “Boardwalk Empire.”
Sky Deutschland, the German pay-TV platform controlled by Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox, has entered Germany's crowded subscription VOD market with the launch of a new on-demand service, called Snap, which offers a low cost Netflix-style package of film and series.
Snap subscribers will have on demand access to features and TV shows from Sky's catalog, among them titles such as Iron Man 2, Up and Toy Story 3 and older episodes of HBO series True Blood and Boardwalk Empire. Sky said it plans to add new content, including episodes of Game of Thrones, in the coming months.
Snap, available in Germany and Austria, costs $13.75 (€9.90) a month, making it more expensive that SVOD offerings from German competitors including Amazon-owned Lovefilm ($9.6), ProSiebenSat.1's Maxdome ($11) and Watchever ($12.4). Sky's pay-TV subscribers can pay just $6.86 (€4.99) per month extra to access the new service.
The subscription VOD market is still small in Germany compared to other territories but is growing fast. Established players are moving to shore up market share ahead of a German launch of Netflix, which some expect as early as the summer 2014.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)