248 Films Eligible for 2010 Oscar for Best Picture
The number is down considerably from 2009, when 274 movies made the cut.
248 feature films are eligible for the 20120 Academy Awards for best picture, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences announced Monday.
274 films were eligible in 2009, and 281 in 2008.
To make the cut, feature films must open in a commercial motion picture theater in Los Angeles County by midnight, December 31, and begin a minimum run of seven consecutive days.
Under Academy rules, a feature-length motion picture must have a running time of more than 40 minutes and must have been exhibited theatrically on 35mm or 70mm film, or in a qualifying digital format.
Feature films that receive their first public exhibition or distribution in any manner other than as a theatrical motion picture release are not eligible for Academy Awards in any category.
The nominations will be announced live on Jan. 25 at 5:30 a.m. PT. The show, hosted by Anne Hathaway and James Franco, airs Feb. 27 on ABC.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR