27 Dead in Connecticut Elementary School Shooting
UPDATED: Broadcast and cable news networks break in as they scramble to cover details in the suburban Fairfield County community.
News networks have gone wall-to-wall with coverage of a mass shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn, where 27 have died: 18 children, the gunman, the school's principal and seven other adults.
The scene of the shooting is Sandy Hook Elementary School, about an hour northeast of New York City. At a news conference Friday afternoon, state police said an investigation is underway and the "public is not in danger."
The Associated Press is reporting that the gunman was a 20-year-old man with a connection to the school. A second person is being questioned in relation to the shootings, outlets reported.
President Obama was briefed Friday morning and also spoke with Connecticut's governor, expressing his condolences regarding the tragedy, according to the AP. "As a father, incidents like these weigh heavily on him," said White House spokesman Jay Carney.
CBS News broke into regular programming at 12:07 p.m. ET. Rebecca Jarvis was headed to the scene, while CBS This Morning co-anchor Norah O’Donnell is anchoring the network’s special coverage. CBS Evening News anchor Scott Pelley will anchor Friday’s broadcast from Connecticut.
NBC's Brian Williams also was headed to the scene.
CNN says Susan Candiotti is reporting from Sandy Hook elementary, with Ashleigh Banfield and Jason Carroll covering the story as well. CNN International is simulcasting CNN, with CNN en Espanol, HLN and CNN.com also covering events live.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game