3 Lessons Chris Hemsworth Learned From 'Thor'
The actor makes his leading-man debut as the God of Thunder this Friday.
Thor, Marvel's big screen adaptation of the Norse comic hero , hits theaters this Friday.
See what the film's star Chris Hemsworth learned during the time he spent wielding Thor's enchanted hammer.
1. Don't overdo the weight lifting.
After landing the role, he told the Los Angeles Times he studied the comic books and noticed the character was “500 pounds or something and looks like Schwarzenegger. And I thought, 'OK, I’m not gonna get to that.’ But I have to get bigger.” Just before shooting the movie, he conducted a final camera test and went numb. “I started getting pins and needles and you’d touch the skin and the blood wouldn’t return to that area so quick. And I thought, ‘OK, it doesn’t fit,’” he tells the Times. The actor’s costume ended up getting altered, and director Branagh instructed him to “pull back” on the intense workouts, he said.
2. Kissing your co-star isn't romantic.
Hemsworth has a steamy love scene with the film's heroine, tk, played by Natalie Portman. But, filming the kiss, wasn't swoon-worthy at all. "It's all rather intimidating and fairly unromantic; you've got fifty people around you and cameras on," he told Moviefone. "It ends up being quite humorous more than anything. You feel like little kids; you've just got to have a laugh and get on with it."
3. Not being a masked-hero can mean more work.
“Because it wasn't like Iron Man, or Batman, or Spider-Man, where he wears a mask,” the Aussie actor has said. “It was my face. So I certainly had to do the majority of it. But that's the fun stuff, for me. It's like being a kid again.”
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR