'30 Rock' Tops Noms for Inaugural 'Comedy Awards'
'The Office' and 'Modern Family' nab four each as do movies 'Easy A,' 'Cyrus' and 'Kick-Ass' as MTV Networks and Comedy Central prepare what they hope to become the Oscars of the comedy business.
NEW YORK - Tina Fey, Betty White, Helen Mirren, Anne Hathaway, Alec Baldwin, Steve Carell, Russell Brand, Will Ferrell, Zach Galifianakis, Ricky Gervais, Aziz Ansari, 30 Rock, Modern Family and Family Guy - those are just some of the nominees for Comedy Central's inaugural Comedy Awards.
The network and Viacom's MTV Networks unit, of which it is part, unveiled the awards categories and nominations on Tuesday.
30 Rock leads the TV categories with seven nominations, followed by The Office and Modern Family with four each.
In the film categories, Easy A, Cyrus and Kick-Ass received four nominations each.
Set to air on Sunday, April 10 across several networks, the awards are designed as the Oscars of the comedy business.
Gervais, nominated for best stand-up special, in a prepared reaction referred back to his controversial performance as host of the 68th annual Golden Globes this year. "It is an honor to be nominated for my stand up at this, the first ever The Comedy Awards," he said. "In 68 years time I intend to host it and get it canceled."
Jimmy Kimmel, whose late night show faces off with David Letterman, Jimmy Fallon, The Daily Show and The Colbert Report in one awards category, said: “It is a great honor to be nominated for an award, even this one.”
Comedy Central said no host or presenters for the awards show have been named, but Craftsman, Geico, Microsoft and Pizza Hut have signed on as sponsors.
Nominees were selected by the Comedy Awards board which includes such big comedy and industry names as James Burrows, Stephen Colbert, Billy Crystal, Whoopi Goldberg, Brad Grey, Caroline Hirsch, Seth MacFarlane, Conan O'Brien, Don Rickles, Joan Rivers, Jay Roach, Chris Rock, Ray Romano, Phil Rosenthal and Jon Stewart.
The winners of each category will be chosen by an invitation-only voting body comprised of nearly 1,000 members from the comedy community. The best viral original category will be decided in an online vote at www.thecomedyawards.com.
Read the full list of nominees after the jump.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)