'30 Rock's' John Lutz Will Become a Lab Rat for New Book Deal
The comedy actor/writer will subject himself to a range of psychological experiments, all in the name of literature.
John Lutz must be a masochist.
In what is another step down a meta comedy hole, the 30 Rock actor has some big plans for after the series ends: writing a book. On 30 Rock, Lutz plays a guy named Lutz (convenient!) who is a staff writer for the show-within-a-show, and who is constantly subjected to insults and scorn. Ironically, that'll prove solid training for his work on the book.
Called The Lutz Experiment, it will team him with Jami Zaki, a Stanford psychologist who will subject him to a series of psychological experiments, which they hope will create some more self-awareness and popularize the field -- Lutz majored in the subject at Valparaiso University.
"I try to do things that scare me," Lutz told The New York Times. "Even the idea of writing a book scared me. My wife had to be like, 'I think you should do this – it would be really good for you.' But I’ve never done that before, and it’s terrifying."
A Second City alum, Lutz (the real guy) wrote for Saturday Night Live before acting on 30 Rock.
The show keeps his character's sexuality as a running joke (though he has a website devoted to an online girlfriend), and "Shut up, Lutz," is one of the series' most-used phrases. Looks like he'll get the last word.
30 Rock ends its seven-year run this season.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- 'The Normal Heart's' 30-Year Journey From Barbra Streisand to Ryan Murphy
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- ‘True Detective' Is HBO's Most Watched First-Year Series Ever, Passes 'Game Of Thrones'
- The Real Story Of Piper And Alex From 'Orange Is The New Black' Will Surprise You
- Conan Shows 'Rare Footage' Of Jesus Christ's Married Life
- Texas Spitfire Abbie Evans Fights Epidermolysis Bullosa In Cary Bell's Butterfly Girl
- Elizabeth Olsen Has to Shred Her 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Scripts!
- Kate Bosworth & Camilla Belle Step Out for Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Gone Girl's Rosamund Pike to 'W Magazine': I Have to Prove I'm as Dark as David Fincher Thinks I Am!
- Miley Cyrus Forced to Cancel St. Louis 'Bangerz' Tour Stop Due to Extended Hospital Stay